Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Work In Progress: "Mottled"



Here is a glimpse of the still life I've been working on for the past few weeks. I chose to place a speckled squash in a mottled bowl, by some freckled jars and a dappled glass pitcher... hence the title! I knew it would be a challenge with all of those assorted spots, and the addition of a traditional twining floral print fabric underneath it all ensured that I would be working on this for quite some time. While I was setting it up, by a partially curtained window, a narrow strip of sunlight hit the golden squash, creating that fantastic reflection inside the bowl. With a little nudging, I got the light to shoot through the green glass as well.

Back to work. I will be posting the finished piece soon.

((detail) 16"x20", colored pencil on pastelbord)

3 comments:

Debbi said...

Wow, Liz, I think your still lives are amazing. I don't think I would ever take on all of those varying textures and patterns. You are a very brave artist, and you pull it off!

Kathy said...

Liz, This is looking beautiful! Your still lives are amazing - can't wait to see the finished piece.

Elizabeth A Patterson said...

Thank you, Debbi and Kathy. I'm getting there.... I think! Somehow, "finishing up" always takes me a long time.