Thursday, May 22, 2008

Old Fashioned Blooms



These double ruffled daffodils may have been blooming here for all of my old house's 107 years. I love the ragged forms, and the random green and orange touches within these blossoms. They are keeping company here with some budding twigs of flowering quince in a couple of old white grapevine-patterned pitchers. Set against the black tole painted tray and some vintage linens, I thought they looked sweet... yet striking.

6"x18", colored pencil on Ampersand pastelbord

6 comments:

hbedrosian said...

Beautiful! I love the composition of this piece.

Elizabeth A Patterson said...

Thank you, Holly! I think the black elements really helped strengthen the composition.

Gillian Mowbray said...

Beautiful work. I love the format you've chosen too. It's like snatching a glimpse through a tall mirror. I always enjoy crops of images - sometimes more than a full image - it's like you can imagine your own continuation, somehow. I'm rambling again .....LOL. x

Gillian Mowbray said...

Liz? Are you ok? I'm missing your work. x

Elizabeth A Patterson said...

Hi Gillian! Not to worry... new posts are coming up soon. Thanks for missing me!

Gillian Mowbray said...

Glad to hear it. Hope you're well. x